York University is committed to offering access to a world-class educational experience to a diverse range of students. The institution actively promotes tolerance and inclusive, fostering an environment that celebrates different viewpoints, cultures, and ways of learning while encouraging global awareness and intercultural competence. York University extends its support to international students, providing them with a wide array of academic, financial, and non-academic resources to help them achieve their educational goals.
To be eligible for the York University Presidential Scholarship Programme, students are required to submit the International Student Scholarship & Award Application. These scholarships and distinctions are granted to individuals with exceptional academic achievements who also demonstrate leadership qualities through volunteer work, artistic or athletic prowess, or excellence in community service. Importantly, students do not need to have received an offer of admission to apply for these scholarships, allowing them to be proactive in pursuing these opportunities.
The university offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs, spanning disciplines such as arts, sciences, business, law, health, and more. Its faculty members are leaders in their respective fields, contributing to cutting-edge research that has a global impact. York’s commitment to experiential education and community involvement provides students with opportunities to apply their knowledge in real-world settings, preparing them for successful careers and meaningful contributions to society.
As an integral part of the Toronto metropolitan area, York University benefits from its urban location, fostering partnerships with various industries, businesses, and organizations. These connections offer students valuable internships, co-op experiences, and networking opportunities. York University’s dedication to social justice and sustainability is reflected in its campus initiatives and programs, making it a hub for positive change and innovation.
For the York University Presidential Scholarship:
- Twenty (20) students are awarded a scholarship of $180,000.00 each, valued at $45,000/year.
- It is renewable for an additional three years of full-time undergraduate study if the student maintains good academic standing each year, bringing it to a total of $180,000 over four years
Requirements For The York University Presidential Scholarship Programme
To be eligible for the undergraduate York University Presidential Scholarship, applicants must:
- Must be an international student who is required to have a Study Permit to study in Canada
- Must have applied to an undergraduate degree program at York that begins in Fall 2024
- Must have applied to York directly from high school no more than two years after graduation, and have no previous university or college studies (not applicable to Tentanda Via Award)
- Must have an excellent academic record with a minimum “A” average or equivalent (where applicable)
- Must have demonstrated leadership through community service or excellence in the arts, sports, or other areas of individual achievement (where applicable)
- Must upload one letter of recommendation or other supporting documents as applicable
Documents Required for Application
- Personal statement from applicant (500 words or less),
- Financial profile,
- List of activities and
- Volunteer experiences and
- One letter of reference.
Method of Application
- All eligible international students are to apply via the online application form.
- The President’s International Scholarship of Excellence will be awarded to international high school applicants who are entering their first year of a four-year undergraduate degree program at York University and demonstrate academic excellence, commitment to volunteer work and extracurricular activities, and leadership skills.
- A minimum 80% (A) final admission average is required for consideration. Financial need may also be considered in the selection process. Recipients will represent a variety of regions around the world and will be referred to as “President’s International Scholars”
Application Deadline: February 1, 2023.