Government of Japan MEXT Scholarship at the University of Tokyo application link has been opened for qualified foreign students who want to continue their education in Japan.
The fully funded MEXT Scholarship award covers students tuition fee and yearly stipends which worth JPY1,774,000 equivalent of $12,764.
There is also another monthly stipend of 3,000 yen specifically for students who are undertaking study or research in some chosen regions of Japan.
Overview of Scholarship
• Country of Scholarship: Japan
• Available Degree: Postgraduate, Master’s degree, PhD degree
• Countries Eligible: Countries of the globe
• Scholarship Award: Fully funded
• Scholarship Opens: October 1, 2022
• Scholarship Closes: October 28, 2022
Requirements of Scholarship Programme:
All aspirants applying for the MEXT Scholarships, must:
- be foreign students and have excellent academic records
- have graduated from their very recent degree programme and possess a final grade point of 2.30 or higher, and current students must have a grade point of 2.30 or more for current courses, and the duo should be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the scholarship program.
- meet the English Language Proficiency requirement(s)
- be a nationality of a country that has a diplomatic relations with the Government of Japan
- be born on April 2, 1988 or after
- choose fields of study that they studied in their previous universities or a related fields. Aspirants should pick fields they can conveniently research at their preferred university in Japan.
- be healthy and physically fit to study in Japan
- arrive Japan before the session begins
Duration and Award of Scholarship
- Exemption of enrollment and tuition fees
- Monthly Allowance worth 144,000 yen per month (students studying Master’s degree), or 145,000 yen per month (students studying Doctoral degree)
- Successful students will be granted travel allowance
- MEXT offers airline tickets to students who return to their home country in the final month of the scholarship period
- For all the successful students who will enroll in a Master’s or Doctoral Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard duration important for the successful students to complete their programs beginning from October 2023.
- Master’s degree — October, 2023 – September, 2025 (two-year)
- Doctoral degree — October, 2023 – September, 2026 (three-year)
For you to successfully submit your application, you will need to submit the below documents;
- Your an application form
- Your research plan and study field
- Your recommendation letter
- The official transcript of the previous university you attended. If you are enrolled in a university
- Submit the passport you took in the last 6 months (4.5 x 3.5 cm, upper-body, full-faced, without a cap)
- An evidence of language proficiency
- An abstract of graduation thesis
- An official statement of graduation of previous institution attended.
- Copy of the aspirants’s passport (a page with photo).
The following are the steps all aspirants must follow:
- All aspirants must submit documents necessary for MEXT Scholarship after completing their admission application for entering the Master’s/Doctoral Program, following the “Instructions for International Students applying to the Graduate School of Science (Special Selection for International Applicants)”.
- These documents must be written in either Japanese or English. They must be created in A4 format using software such as MS Word and must be printed double-sided (duplex printing). A document written in any other language must be accompanied with a Japanese translation.
- Submitted documents will not be returned.
- An application passed the submission deadline is not acceptable.
- An application will not be considered unless all application forms and necessary documents are completed correctly and all accompanying documents are complete.
- In some countries, a graduation certificate and other documents are issued by a government administrative office. In this case, the University of Tokyo may need to confirm with a student’s previous university that the certificate issued contains no erroneous information.
Procedure of Nomination
Once you are nominated by the Graduate School of Science, your nomination for the MEXT scholarship will be determined in a selection process for the entire University of Tokyo. After the University of Tokyo picks its aspirants, the grantees will be determined through the screening at MEXT.
Aspirants should submit the documents required to apply for the MEXT Scholarship, that is, after they apply for admission to the Graduate School of Science Master’s/Doctoral Program
All aspirants picked by the Graduate School of Science will be sent an email in the middle of February, 2023. The unpicked aspirants are as well sent an email.
The aspirants picked at the University of Tokyo selection stage will be further sent an email in April 2023.
All qualified aspirants should follow the below link to start their application.
This is one of the scholarships that are easy to get in Japan. However, it is awarded based on merit. That is, only the most qualified students will be considered for this scholarship program.