The Bennett Jones Future Leaders in Law will be offering three scholarships yearly to provide financial support to incoming first-year law students who have demonstrated interest in business law and identify as members of the Indigenous or Black communities, and/or are among the first generation of their close family to take post-secondary education.
The applicants of the first-year scholarship are also eligible for additional assistance in their second and third years of law school. In addition, the Bennett Jones Future Leaders in Law Scholarships offers mentorship and other career development opportunities to the applicants selected for the scholarship.
About Bennett Jones
Bennett Jones was established in 1922.
For years now, many prominent Canadian legal world have mentored many who work here, investing values that have greatly helped, are what make Bennett Jones one of the top law firms in the country.
- Each of the three recipients receive will receive award worth $10,000 for use towards their first-year tuition of a recognized J.D. or LL.B. program at a Canadian law school (the “First-Year Award”).
- Each of the three recipients will be receive an additional $10,000 per year for use towards their second and third-year tuition of that same or other recognized J.D./L.L.B. program at an approved Canadian law school (the “Upper-Year Awards”) inasmuch as they continue to meet the eligibility criteria below.
- The First-Year Award amount, and the Upper-Year Award amounts, if appropriate, will be sent to each recipient by September, 15 on proof of enrollment for the applicable academic year.
Eligibility Criteria for Bennett Jones Future Leaders in Law Scholarships
- To be granted a First-Year Bennett Jones Future Leaders in Law Scholarships, the selected students must be:
- entering their first year of full-time study at a J.D./L.L.B. program at an approved Canadian law school;
- a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident;
- recognized as a member of at least one of the following:
- Canadian First Nations, Métis or Inuit;
- African Canadian, Afro Latino, African, Afro-Caribbean, , or another Black group.
- demonstrate an interest in pursuing a future career in business law
- To be awarded an Upper-Year Award, the successful applicant must:
- be entering their second or third year of full-time study at a J.D./L.L.B. program at an accredited Canadian law school;
- have earned either a First-Year Award or an Upper-Year Award in the prior academic year; and
- have finished a full course load and maintained a minimum B minus average (or numerical equivalent) in the previous academic session.
How to Apply?
- Applicants for a First-Year Bennett Jones Future Leaders in Law Scholarships should provide:
- Cover Letter telling: (1) the applicant’s academic aims and career plan and how the financial support provided by a Bennett Jones LLP Future Leaders in Law Scholarship will assist them accomplish these aims; and (2) how or why the candidates, through their academic, work, extra-curricular and/or community involvement, are the best applicants for the scholarship;
- Official transcripts from all university-level undergraduate and graduate programs, if in Canada or outside;
- At least one, but no more than two, Reference Letter (s) in backing of the applicant’s academic, work, extra-curricular, or community involvement, as may be referred to by the applicant in their single-page cover letter. Applicant’s reference should not be from a family member or related person;
- Applicants should send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 11:59 p.m. EDT on June 30.
- Applicants for an Upper-Year Award should provide:
- The official transcripts of their first-year law school grades by June 1 of their first-year and/or second-year grades by June 1 of their second year, as applicable;
- The proof of continued enrolment as a full-time law student at a J.D./L.L.B. program at an approved Canadian law school.
For more inquiries, click here.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2022
Of all the applicants of these scholarships, just three qualified persons will be selected for all the prizes and awards. To be among the selected three, enure you provide all the necessary documents for the scholarship.